0

15 Percent




Sick from the city
It burns in my side

- The Veils

Lord knows i've been trying
- Destroyer



Busses and bridges brought me to a strange end of town last night. I was looking for a party in a park just after I finished a big mac on the west side. I got off at the wrong stop, and I wound up lost in one of the hometowns priciest neighborhoods. I felt like I was the only person on earth as I zigzagged through the avenues and streets. The whole place was void of movement, except for a lone skunk sniffing the tires of a gigantic SUV parked along the side of the road. The houses were impressive, huge, and well manicured, but they all seemed so cold and empty. All the windows were black and impenetrable. The only sound I could hear was the light rain trying to fall through the massive umbrella of foliage above me. Such a disgusting display of decadence I had found myself in.

This neighborhood sits its fat ass in the middle of the city, casting a watchful glance at all that pass through its attempts at perfection. I thought I was walking through that maze made of hedges in the movie The Shining. With each step I grew more angry. Each wrong turn, another gorgeous home, and another replay of the events that have transpired over the past few days. Another empty driveway, paired with yet another life assessment in the rain, and I assure you not much had changed in the fifteen minutes since my last one. My fists were clenched as I thought of the smiles, the laughter, the icing on cakes, the movies, the sundays, the drives, the smell of bbq mixed with the sounds of children playing. It all bled away from me with each step I took in that supposed suburban perfection. I finally found my way out of that place, but its erie, quiet complacency, is still with me. I hate being lost.