0

Meet Me in Montauk


From: carroll R ailyn
Date: Sunday, February 26, 2006 12:28 PM
To: lowsbigandtall@hotmail.com
Subject: iwantyou

hi lowsbigandtall i hope i found the right guy you are veryhot saw your picture ontheweb let get together and have fun ,my msn messenger
is natalie86msn add me please

cary
caryl
caryn
rebecca


Normally I would be typing my stories in bed, tucked beneath the covers with my laptop resting on my torso and my head propped up on a collection of pillows that need replacing. The iBook is in the shop again though, and unlikely to come out unless my office decides to foot the $700.00 bill for its repair. The sleek new macbook seems like the better choice, and if things go according to plan, I'll be able to join you from the comfort of my bed by the end of the month. While that situation resolves itself, I am forced to spend time with you in my living room, on my old IBM Aptiva, while seated in my grandfathers black leather lounger that he bought sometime around 1968 when he sold hi-end furniture for the Hudson Bay Company. Gosh my living room really is quite lovely, I rarely spend time in it though, such a waste. A couple weeks ago I was drinking pints of beer at a White Spot of all places and it overlooked the hometown's flagship Hudson Bay store. Every major city in Canada has one, dotted across the national landscape, built around the same time; all of them similar, yet slightly different. Sitting in the White Spot that evening, I couldn't take my eyes off that 6 story dame lit up bright over one of the busiest intersections in the province, taking me away from the conversation at the table into a quiet contemplation of thoughts past. Sipping tea and watching an old soap opera called The Edge of Night with my mother and grandmother after our weekly shopping trip to The Bay when I was a kid, running into the main store in downtown Calgary one morning stoned out of my mind with the notion that I should buy my newborn daughter a Barbie doll, and unloading $100 gift certificates on 6 dollar socks to collect the left over cash to pay for the hotel I was staying at when I was only a visitor to Vancouver. The architecture of that building took me to all these flashes of memory as I repeatedly tipped the cold beer into my mouth that night; flooding my white teeth with cold copper beer, tuned out to everything else around me.

I haven't been on a date in almost three months now, and I am beginning to get used to being alone. Being comfortable with yourself is a powerful thing. I apologize if things have been a bit slow around here, there really hasn't been much happening, except for a party that I went to with Frannie in which Dick Van Dyke and Ben Stiller were in attendance, and I didn't even feel like writing about it. You understand, don't you? Things were getting out of hand. Stumbling through the nights out of control, brash and unapologetic to the appetite of my want. Girls I had told to fuck off screaming up to my window in the alley, notes slipped under the door from the neighbor telling me to stop using the back stairwell as an exciting place to screw. I needed a break, and as hard as it has been to be alone on the Sundays, when everyone else has a place to go; I have been rebuilding, and its starting to pay off.

I was offered a new job yesterday at a studio overlooking the mountains, the sea, and the railroad tracks leading into the city. I turned it down because I know better offers are on the way. Jacque has a show in Barcelona in July and wants me to come with him to the opening, and he's secured a place for us to stay. My art collection is growing from the web sites that I've been building for artists, and it has been suggested that I should get some insurance after the latest addition to my collection is a 6X4 inch painting worth $1700.00 of which Belinda Stronach owns the other 2 in the series. There's the band, the articles and songs I've been writing; under my real name of course and the summer is coming.

I have three weeks holidays coming up and the sun is starting to linger longer in the sky sending golden rays shooting into the dark alleys that I traverse alone on a regular basis. Things inevitably will heat up around here, because I haven't exactly been just sitting here doing nothing. No, I've been busy, from the safety of my chair, or my bed, recruiting the characters that will inevitably entertain you as yet another dry season begins to align itself amongst the buildings and memories that make up this city, and I assure you gentle reader, I am here, waiting for it to all unfold.