0

Ten



Dudley Moore in 10


It was May 23rd, two years ago. I had just finished a two hundred dollar meal with Tony at a cramped tapas restaurant where the music bordered on deafening, and the waitresses were frustratingly lovely. I had fifteen thousand dollars in the bank, and an emptiness in my heart that not even the new 250$ shoes I was wearing could subside. But that was about to all change. Tony dropped me off at a party hosted by Dragica, who I had met just two weeks prior. It was her birthday, and our presence was required in costume because we were all planning on attending a late night Mad Hatter's tea party at a warehouse space on the east side.

When I woke up the next day in Nymphalidae's bed with her huge fourth floor windows just above my forehead, overlooking the church steeples and awnings of Chinatown with the snowcapped mountains overshadowing everything from the north, I was waking up in another world, and I haven't been home since.

The 23rd doesn't fall on a weekend anymore, it will take seven years for that to happen again, but a couple of months ago, it came around again, May 23rd 2006, and we had a party, A birthday party for Dragica, and we were again, of course, required in costume.

Phoenix - Long Distance Call